Bullfrog Pond Campground
Due to high fire danger in our area, all campsites at Bullfrog Pond Campground are restricted from having campfires per a superintendent order. The backcountry campsites are closed to fires until further notice.
Bullfrog Pond Campground, located in Austin Creek State Recreation Area and operated by Stewards of the Coast and Redwoods, is
nestled atop rolling hills studded with oak trees and encircles a pond surrounded by redwoods. The sunsets from Vista Point at the campground
entrance are incredible! The drive to the campground itself offers a beautiful winding view as you climb out of the canyon and onto the rolling
Campground Rules & Additional Info:
- Bullfrog Pond Campground is for tent or car camping only. There are no hook-ups or trailer sites. Check-in time starts at 2:00 PM and check-out
time is noon.
- In compliance with State Park regulations, campers may stay in the campground for a maximum of 7 consecutive nights. Once this consecutive
limit has been reached, campers must vacate the campground and no one in the party may return to camp in the same park for 48 hours.
Campers may stay in the same park up to 30 nights in a calendar year.
- Access to the campground is up a very steep, winding, one-lane road with two-way traffic. Drive slowly and carefully and remember that
uphill traffic usually has the right-of-way. Utilize turnouts when necessary. Austin Creek and Bullfrog Pond Campgound are closed to
vehicles over 20 feet in length or to pulled trailers of any size.
- You may register for a campsite online or at the entrance kiosk of Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve. If Field Operations staff are not available, please self-register at the campground entrance using the self-pay station/iron ranger. You may also register with a camphost at campsite #4 if there is one on duty.
- Sites are $35.00 per night. Seniors (62+), disabled persons, and veterans are $5.00 off per night. This includes up to 8 people in one
site and one vehicle. Additional vehicles will be charged $8.00 per vehicle per night.
- Minors (under 18) must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Pets are allowed, but MUST be kept on a leash at all times and confined at night. Dogs are allowed on paved roads, but are NOT permitted
on trails or fire-roads to protect wildlife habitat.
- There are 23 campsites and one camphost site (#4). There are flush toilets and drinking water; however there are no showers in the park.
- Gathering firewood is prohibited. Keep YOUR campground clean and safe.
- Check the camphost site (#4) for hours of operation. Firewood and other camping amenities are available for sale. You may leave messages
for fellow campers on the bulletin board at the site.
- Fishing is permitted in Bullfrog Pond with a valid Fishing License. Swimming in the pond is not recommended.
- In compliance with the California Code of Regulations, nudity is not allowed.
- The campground is subject to fire closure during the summer months.
- Austin Creek often runs 10-20 degrees warmer than the valley floor during the summer/early fall months
- Fire bans can go into effect at any time due to dry weather conditions and can be lifted at any time
- Backcountry campsites are subject to closure due to heavy rain and/or inaccessibility issues
Other Things to Know: